The Four Paisanos’ Herbed Pork Rib Roast
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 4-pound pork rib roast cut from the loin end, chine bone removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, blend the garlic with the olive oil, thyme, and rosemary.
- Rub the herb paste all over the pork roast and let stand at room temperature for two hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Set the pork in a small roasting pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the pork for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Continue roasting the pork for 40 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 155 degrees.
- Transfer the pork to a carving board and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Cut between the ribs, transfer the chops to plates, and serve.
About the Chefs
Name of Chefs: Grace Evans, Judy Rowles,
Mary Reynolds, and Melinda Tucker (The Four Paisanos!)
Communities: Grace – San Elijo Hills in San Marcos;
Judy – Rancho Santa Fe; Mary and Melinda – Carmel Valley
Hobbies/Interests: Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary-Del Mar Unit
About the Recipe: All four chefs are members of Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary-Del Mar Unit and became friends while working on the Del Mar Unit’s fundraiser in 2013. They prepared an all-Italian, five-course meal last year as one of the fundraiser’s live auction items. It was so successful that they offered it again this year! This year, Judy, Melinda, Grace, and Mary donated their time and effort as an auction item to make dinner for ten at Judy’s Rancho Santa Fe home. They prepared a five-course meal for the guests with wine pairings. Leading the Four Paisanos this year was French Chef Kate Grebow. The four volunteers refer to themselves as the Four Paisanos as they are all of Italian descent.
About the Chefs: Grace – I reside in San Elijo Hills with my husband, Barry. We have two children, Paige, who is living in Texas, and Tyler, who is in his last year of college. I have a successful jewelry business with clients all over the country.
Judy – I am married to Steve Rowles and we have two children, Kenny and Lauren. I am the chair of Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary-Del Mar Unit. I am a lawyer, play tennis and golf, and am an artist studying painting.
Mary – My husband, Jim and I live in Carmel Valley. We have two grown children, Cara and Jimmy. I am a dedicated volunteer and I serve as the co-chair of Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary Kids’ News Day. I am also a CASA for Voices for Children. My hobbies include cooking and early morning gym workouts.
Melinda – My husband Scott and I own a mortgage company. We have two children, Mackenzie, who is attending graduate school, and Sutton, who is in college. I am an avid hiker and a fabulous cook. I am the chair of the Rady Children’s Hospital Auxiliary’s Del Mar Unit’s fundraising event, Heard It Through the Grapevine wine tasting.